Thursday 25 September 2014

Screen Printing Workshops

Last year I started buying silk screens, squeegees and other equipment specifically for running workshops. Now I have pretty much everything I need and can teach screen printing where ever there's a few tables, a sink and some willing participants! So far I've taught at a stately home, in a shopping centre, an art gallery, a marquee and even outside a folly. As well as investing in equipment I've also been experimenting more with paper stencils and using them for screen printing. The great thing about paper stencils is that they are so quick, easy and cheap to make, they also give surprisingly good results. They don't require any expensive equipment or nasty chemicals, just a kitchen table and kitchen sink. I really enjoy being able to make a few cuts and then printing straight away. I printed this sunshine in less than a day using 5 paper stencils and 5 colours. Another thing I love about screen printing with paper stencils is the thickness of the ink and the different effects that are created by overlapping layers of colour. My next screen printing workshop is this Saturday at Weston Park in Shropshire www.weston-park.com which is a beautiful location and will inspire some great printmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment