Saturday 19 March 2022

Blue and Yellow Sunflowers for Ukraine

I've been working out how to screen print my sunflower design using hand cut stencils and just two colours; the blue and yellow of the Ukrainian flag... or at least what Google told me they are! I redrew my sunflower design so it had a background similar to the flag. Next I carefully hand cut a stencil for each of the two colours. Then I screen printed the blue background including some of the details like the petals and leaves. Finally I added a layer of yellow and where the two colours overlapped they created green. There were some problems printing the little sunflower seeds so I needed to make some slight changes. But apart from that the sunflowers worked well and I decided to screen print a finished edition to sell to help raise money for charities working in Ukraine. The wonderful culture, traditions and folk art of Ukraine often inspires my work so I wanted to show some support and solidarity for the Ukrainian people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment